November 4, 2010

"The Odyssey" by Homer and "The Penelopiad" by Margaret Atwood



Well, you're gonna get a 'two-fer' tonight; a review of Homer's The Odyssey (translation by Robert Fagles), and Margaret Atwood's brilliant little novella, The Penelopiad.  Secondly, I am sharing this with the Literary Blog Hop at The Blue Bookcase.  These women are writing and promoting some very fine book reviews.  I encourage you to go their blog and have a look.  I have learned to truly love the cross-pollination that occurs on the world-wide-web; particularly when it comes to the books we read and our impressions.  Think about it for a moment, but where do we really learn about most of the books we read?  Yup, from other people.

Some of you may be aware, but I read Homer's The Iliad recently and loved it (my review here).  I figured that the smart thing to do was to go ahead and just follow it up with a reading of Robert Fagles's 1996 translation of The Odyssey.

Robert Fagles's translation is a modern and contemporary, yet extraordinarily lyrical translation that just seems to preserve the classical feel of Homer, i.e., it begs to be read aloud.  This puts the reader squarely in the midst of the Homeric oral tradition of the itinerant bard and the hexameter verse structure of this ancient epic poem.  Fagles has masterfully brought this feeling to his English translation.  Now it is time for a 'Warning' from the Management--If you haven't read The Odyssey before, and are truly concerned about plot spoilers, I suggest you toddle along and find another blog posting to read right now.

The Odyssey is a nearly three-thousand year old 12,000 line poem that tells the tale of the Greek warrior, Odysseus, and his return from Asia-Minor following the sack of Troy.  While it took the Achaean army ten years to defeat Troy, it takes Odysseus ten more years to return home to his island kingdom of Ithaka.  Suffice it to say that Odysseus has nearly every adventure that you're likely to imagine, and then some, during his journey before he reaches his home.  This is a rollicking good read with loads of action-packed hand-to-hand combat, scary monsters, femme fatales, and damsels in distress.

Intermingled with the story of Odysseus's macho-man Mediterranean cruise is the concurrent tale of his patient, but suffering, wife, Penelope, holding down the fort on Ithaka.  She is not only trying to raise their surly teen-aged son, Telemakus, but simultaneously fending off the less than honorable advances of the hordes of suitors who now assume that Odysseus is dead and want to take over his kingdom (and wife).

Meanwhile, during the course of all of his mad-cap adventures, Odysseus is called upon to use every ounce of his guile and inventiveness to outwit his foes and safely return to Ithaka to his wife and son and the host of suitors pursuing Penelope and looking to supplant him.  And deal with them he does.  Near the end of the poem Odysseus and Telemakus go on a premeditated spree of horrific violence and slaughter all of Penelope's dastardly suitors and her twelve palace maids.  It ain't pretty, folks; nope, not at all.  This is bloody in-your-face killing Homeric style, and a lot like today's video games.

Reading The Odyssey will not only keep you enthralled from the first page to the last--and it is an amazing travelogue after all--but it will cause you to dip into your Bullfinch's or Hamilton's mythology too.  Reading The Odyssey is quite like peeling an onion--layer after layer--one story leading to the discovery of another related myth.  Also, do pay attention to the bits about Penelope and her defense of the homefront.  This will become important in the next part of this posting as I review Margaret Atwood's marvelous little novella, The Penelopiad.

If you haven't read Homer's great epic, The Odyssey, I simply can't recommend it enough.  I strongly suggest reading The Iliad first though.  They go together, like hand-in-glove.  I also strongly recommend reading the translations of Robert Fagles of both of these classic epic poems.  I recently read Richmond Lattimore's translations; and while very beautifully done, I truly believe that the Fagles translations are the renditions for our time.  For The Odyssey, I award five stars out of five, a genuine classic.

***


Okay, now lets turn our attention to Margaret Atwood's 2005 novel, The Penelopiad.  At just under two-hundred pages, I read this novella in one sitting, and enjoyed it immensely!  Also, having just finished reading Robert Fagles' marvelous translation of Homer's The Odyssey, finding and reading The Penelopiad seemed more than serendipitous.  This is a retelling of The Odyssey from the perspective of Odysseus's wife, the 'patient' Penelope.  Atwood uses humor, pathos, and a significant dose of imagination and creativity to tell the story of Penelope and the twelve maids.  With one of the niftiest opening lines I've read in some time, this is an innovative piece of modern writing that finds Atwood cleverly reaching back to the ancient Greek dramatists as she structures the entire book as an ancient classical drama, with the interesting literary device of the 'Twelve Maids' providing the voice of the Chorus.  The Chorus of the Maids interjects quite frequently (eleven chapters) in the midst of Penelope's soliloquy (eighteen chapters) to share their perspective of Penelope, Odysseus, and the on-going events in the palace on Ithaka.  Some of these choral interludes include bits of funny poetic doggerel, a lyrical and well-written lamentation, a folk song, an idyll, a sea shanty, a ballad, a drama, an anthropology lecture, a court trial, and a love song.  I have to say that each of these choral interludes works very well in bringing to life these twelve, largely unknown, maids.

At first blush the reader might be tempted to dismiss this little book as nothing more than a light-hearted bit of fun that Atwood has at the expense of elements of Homer's great epic.  In my opinion, that would be a mistake though.  There's a lot going on in this book, and much of it doesn't manifest itself immediately.  I re-read it this morning on the train to the office, and I'm now even more in awe of Atwood's talent as a writer.  While acknowledging the patriarchal and male-centric tone of The Odyssey, Atwood in her The Penelopiad has brilliantly explored the feminine side of the Palace of Ithaka, as well as in Hades (the Underworld) where Penelope; her cousin, Helen-of-Troy; and the maids now all reside.  Atwood tastefully, but emphatically, uses her brief little tale to illustrate the double-standard that existed between men and women, not only that contained in the oral tradition of Homer's epics, but that of the ancient classical world.  After my recent reading of Homer, I found her use of a completely different voice and gender to tell the story of Odysseus' return to his home after twenty years, and the horrific violence he inflicts on 'the suitors', as well as the Twelve Maids, to be simply fascinating.  Also, while Homer goes to great lengths to highlight Odysseus as the "trickster", "dissembler", and "tactician", Atwood is equally successful in causing the reader to continually sift through Penelope's thoughts and statements for the kernels of Truth in her story, and in this task it is sometimes wise to pay attention to the Chorus.

Is The Penelopiad intended to be a feminist interpretation of Penelope, or The Odyssey?  No, I really don't think so.  This wonderful novella seems to be nothing more than Atwood's contribution to the Canongate Myth Series (a terrific series of books, by the way), and simply addresses the Odyssean mythology from the perspective of one female protagonist and a series of events that have received little scholarly or literary attention prior to this.  Having said that though, I found the book to be a very well written and cleverly constructed story by one of Canada's great living authors.  In sum, I thoroughly enjoyed The Penelopiad, and I'm quite glad that it has taken up a permanent home on my shelves.  For me, this book rates a solid four stars out of five.

***

22 comments:

  1. Christopher, I love having the two books reviewed together. I love Atwood's work, but have never picked this one up. First, though, I have to read the Illiad, which is on my nightstand, thanks to your persuasive post;) Right now, though, I am indulging in my favorite literary indulgence--Trollope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One most definitely cannot go wrong with Trollope! Trolloping in 'Trollopiana' is beyond belief. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stopping in via the new Literary Blog Hop. I'm a new follower!

    I read The Odyssey in high school. I could not believe how amazing it was. No getting inside someone's head here. Just an old-fashioned action-adventure story.

    I'd love to have you stop by my blog. The truth is that I read all the wonderful literary books, but I still write like I'm in primary school. Hope you can ignore my simple style and visit anyway.

    www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Let me rephrase that: I'm a follower. Not a new follower.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Penelopiad is now going on my TBR list, thanks to you, Christopher! I have loved everything I have read by Atwood, so I'm sure I will love this one. I am always emphasizing to everyone I meet that a reading of both The Iliad and The Odyssey is a necessity to anyone interested in literature because the classical tradition has been handed down through the ages in so much poetry and prose. Besides, they are both incredible reads, if one takes the time to truly appreciate them. Thanks for the great review, as always! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Christopher! We have loved your comments on our blog recently and appreciate your kind words here about us.

    I enjoyed this joint review, but it has me conflicted about the Penelopiad. Emily over at Reading While Female just reviewed the novella a couple of days ago and talked about how disappointed she was in the depiction of Penelope -- whiny and weak.

    Maybe I'll just have to read it and decide for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I disagree that Atwood's Penelopiad isn't feminist, I just think she has a rational stance about it. I think the whole book makes a point for women in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Chris! I have to say that I was delighted to see that you used the word "toddle," a word which has always amused me. Anyway, I'm glad you reviewed the Penelopiad, which I've always been curious about. Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite authors, and I love the spinoff of the Odyssey. Penelope as a character has always fascinated me as well ... she has incredible loyalty and personal strength. I'm glad you pointed out that the Penelopiad is more than just a feminist interpretation of The Odyssey. I would expect a little more complexity from Atwood and I'm glad to hear that she came through.

    Thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris,

    Found you through the blog hop and I'm your newest follower.

    I love The Penelopiad, and thought it was a great spin on a classic. To me it was feminist, but in the true sense of the word as in showing females as equals with just as much strength, character etc.

    Have you read Weight from the same series? I have it on hold at the library and can't wait to get hold of it.


    Sam at Tiny Library

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Ben--

    I may have been a tad flippant saying that The Penelopiad wasn't "feminist", as it certainly is in the sense of being from the female perspective; and she certainly addresses a myriad of feminist issues and ideas as Penelope and the Maids tell their tale throughout the novella. I also found it intriguing that Penelope does, in effect, establish a matriarchal hierarchy in the palace while Odysseus is gone. Penelope, however, rules largely benevolently in stark contrast to Agamemnon's wife Clytaemnestra (one can really see the differences with a read of Aeschylus' dramatic trilogy, The Oresteia). I think that my point was that even Atwood herself did not consider that this book was written to be solely a feminist statement. Thanks for the visit and your comment. Cheers! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopping by and found Homer. Coincidentally, I just today read an essay comparing Fagles' translation to Alexander Pope's from the 18th Century. Fagles' is certainly more muscular and robust, but Pope's so lyrical and elegant. A toss up maybe.

    I look forward to vising more often.

    Rose City Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome comments, folks! I greatly appreciate each and every one of your visits and comments. This is really quite a lot of fun! I wish all of you happy reading and a great weekend! Cheers! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to reading The Penelopiad, having chosen it for the Read-a-Myth challenge to begin this January, but more importantly because I love Margaret Atwood. (Her The Robber Bride is my favorite.) I've heard that I should read The Odyssey before, and I can see from how you tied these together it would be the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're two steps ahead of me--I'm just beginning a reread of The Odyssey, and then plan on reading The Penelopiad. I'll come back and read your thoughts when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recommend that you read the same author's translation of Virgil's The Aeneid-I liked his translations of Homer a great deal-I thought Atwood's take on Penelope was very imaginative-I am a follower of your blog now-I found it via the literary book blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visiting from the Literary Hop, and grateful to Blue Bookcase for starting it! Atwood's book sounds wonderful, I'll definitely have to pick it up. I always enjoy your reviews. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's not often that you can cover 3000 yeqrs of literature in a single post. Great review. I've been brought back to The Odyssey by Ulysses over the last several weeks. Maybe now is the time to give it another read after all these years. The Atwood book sounds great as well. What I wouldn't give for an entire novel from the perspective of Molly Bloom! Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fascinating post. I'm a huge fan of the Odyssey and not so much of the Penelopiad (although I love Atwood tremendously in general).

    I am absolutely blown away by Patrick's idea of a novel from Molly Bloom's perspective! Somebody has got to tell Atwood! (Or perhaps I'll sign up for NaNoWriMo next year...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's a readalong of the Odyssey going on right now and one member, Erin from Erin Reads, is listening to it on audio. I had to read The Odyssey in college, my very first book in my first semester, so I was barely 18, and I found the book difficult and boring. I've never wanted to revisit it, but hearing Erin talk about the experience of listening to what was originally an oral story made me think about possibly revisiting in that way. I might get more out of the book now at 32 than I did at 18.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Christopher,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed my post. I'm really enjoying your blog (I'm not done looking yet), and will add it to my blog roll so that my readers can find their way to you, and I can stop by to visit again!

    Best wishes,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was excited to see your review of The Penelopiad! I am planning on reading it for a mythology challenge starting in January. I haven't read any Atwood yet but she seems to be quite well-liked so I look forward to getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I take a slightly different angle on women in The Odyssey in my recent post, "Penelope as (M)Other: Telemachus’s Coming of Age in The Odyssey" at literatimom.blogspot.com. I argue that, in keeping with what we know about the circulation of women among men during this time period, women in this text are portrayed as objects to be owned and against which men were able to claim their own subjectivity. Telemachus others Penelope in multiple ways throughout the text in order to identify as a man and, specifically, as a warrior like his father.

    ReplyDelete